Biochemistry is one of the typical subjects in First Year of MBBS. Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry PDF is one of the textbooks for Biochemistry. You can download Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry 28th edition using the links given below.
Overview of Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry
Although the most commonly used book remains U Satyanarayana, Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry has set some real standards. It has far better-illustrated diagrams and flowcharts, much better explanations and yes, it is recommended the book if you are or will be preparing for NEET PG exam after MBBS. Some of the new features of medical interest as per book include:
- Influence of the Human Genome Project on various biomedical fields.
- Re-write of the use of enzymes in medical diagnosis.
- New material on computer-aided drug discovery.
- Compilation of some conformational diseases.
- New material on advanced glycation end-products and their importance in diabetes mellitus.
- New material on the attachment of influenza virus to human cells.
- Some major challenges facing medicine.
Suggestions for those studying Biochemistry in First Year MBBS are as follows:
- This subject is kind of mug-up everything, except some important topics that are important clinically. Such topics are must, and examples include the Glucose Tolerance Test. Those preparing for Post Graduation will have to read everything though.
- 5-year question papers for your university are enough, you can try to do 10 years if you want.
- Focus on other subjects rather than all concentration on Biochemistry. Physiology and Anatomy are going to help you more than learning biochemistry.
Contents of Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry PDF
The free book has over 1269 pages and is the 28th edition of the series. If you need Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry 29th or 30th edition, check the page updates. About the book, there are 54 Chapters divided into 3 Sections in Total with two appendices. Some of the chapters in the book are as follows:
- Biochemistry & Medicine
- Water & pH
- Amino Acids & Peptides
- Proteins: Determination of Primary Structure
- Proteins: Higher Orders of Structure
- Proteins: Myoglobin & Hemoglobin
- Enzymes: Mechanism of Action
- Enzymes: Kinetics
- Enzymes: Regulation of Activities
- Bioinformatics & Computational Biology
- Bioenergetics: The Role of ATP
- Biologic Oxidation
- The Respiratory Chain & Oxidative Phosphorylation
- Carbohydrates of Physiologic Significance
- Lipids of Physiologic Significance
- Overview of Metabolism & the Provision of Metabolic Fuels
- The Citric Acid Cycle: The Catabolism of Acetyl-CoA
- Glycolysis & the Oxidation of Pyruvate
- Metabolism of Glycogen
- Gluconeogenesis & the Control of Blood Glucose
- The Pentose Phosphate Pathway & Other Pathways of Hexose Metabolism
- Oxidation of Fatty Acids: Ketogenesis
- Biosynthesis of Fatty Acids & Eicosanoids
- Metabolism of Acylglycerols & Sphingolipids
- Lipid Transport & Storage
- Cholesterol Synthesis, Transport, & Excretion
- Biosynthesis of the Nutritionally Nonessential Amino Acids
- Catabolism of Proteins & of Amino Acid Nitrogen
- Catabolism of the Carbon Skeletons of Amino Acids
- Conversion of Amino Acids to Specialized Products
- Porphyrins & Bile Pigments
- Metabolism of Purine & Pyrimidine Nucleotides
- Nucleic Acid Structure & Function
- DNA Organization, Replication, & Repair
- RNA Synthesis, Processing, & Modification
- Protein Synthesis & the Genetic Code
- Regulation of Gene Expression
- Molecular Genetics, Recombinant DNA, & Genomic Technology
- Membranes: Structure & Function
- The Diversity of the Endocrine System
- Hormone Action & Signal Transduction
- Nutrition, Digestion, & Absorption
- Micronutrients: Vitamins & Minerals
- Free Radicals and Antioxidant Nutrients
- Intracellular Traffic & Sorting of Proteins
- The Extracellular Matrix
- Muscle & the Cytoskeleton
- Plasma Proteins & Immunoglobulins
- Hemostasis & Thrombosis
- Red & White Blood Cells
- Metabolism of Xenobiotics
- Biochemical Case Histories
Download Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry PDF 28th Edition
You can download the Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry PDF 28th edition by the link given below. If the link is not working, do let us know using the comments section, we will readily update it. If you are unable to locate the links, please refresh the page.